Week 6 in Brazil.
This week has been all about adjusting to life in Brazil. There are customs, routines, weather patterns, foods, holidays, a new language, and other cultural differences to adjust to. Some stress comes with that, but I am proud of how well my family is doing. I have challenged them to speak Portuguese in public whenever possible, and they are all giving it their best shot. It is still a challenge, and Andrew and I do most of the talking to others, but I am just impressed with their willingness to do their best. We have also been trying different foods, most of which we like.
Sarah, in fact, has discovered a new flavor combination that she loves called a Romeo and Juliet, which consists of cheese and guava mixed together. She even bought some requiejão (a spreadable cheese) and guava jam to have on her toast every day. We also have had the flavor combination in churros and tapiocas. I have gotten into the food by making a couple of Brazilian dishes on my own, including galinhada and beans and rice. Finally, we are getting used to the fact that it rains a lot here, and we just have to work around it, and we are learning about new holidays and customs. I think we will be fully adjusted around August, when we return home.
On Monday, my parents were still here, so we all went to the beach. It was a cloudy, rainy day, but it was their last chance, so we went anyway. The rain was warm and gentle, and the water here is just about perfect, so we stayed for a long time snorkeling and playing in the waves. Sometimes, the clouds would break just a little and other times a rain shower would come through, but we had a great time. As an added bonus, we were about half of the people on the beach, so we could spread out as much as we wanted.
My parents flew home Tuesday, it was so great having them here to explore together, and we already miss them. However, Hyrum was able to move out of the other boys' room into his own room, so that was a nice consolation prize for all of them. I also went to work at the university Tuesday and Wednesday. It was good to get back in the lab and work with students and plan the research. It also gave Sarah and the kids time to work out their regular routine. Sarah likes to have the boys work on school review each day during the summer (which my boys inform me is terribly mean of her) to help them retain their information and learn on their own. This summer, Christian is doing an online ACT class, Andrew is doing an online Python Programming course, and Hyrum doing some grade-appropriate educational games. They also have cleaning and other chores to do each day. It was good to move out of vacation mode and into a normal routine.
On Thursday and Friday, it was a holiday here (Corpus Christi), so I was home again! So much for normal routine. Actually, I worked on data analysis and writing in the morning while the kids did their chores and studying. Then, we went out to do something. On Thursday, we went to the local zoo (which is free). It was by no stretch the San Diego Zoo, but I was impressed with the number and variety of animals they had. Another neat thing was that they emphasized animals that live in the local area, so we got to see many animals we had never seen before. I am so amazed by the biodiversity of Brazil. For a biologist, it is like a kid in a candy store!
Saturday was finally sunny and beautiful, so we walked along the beach to look at some tide pools and visit an old fort nearby. We then participated in a Salvador tradition by watching the sunset at the lighthouse, and then we ate tapiocas along the beach.










No comments:
Post a Comment