Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

May 7, 2023

Week 1 in Brazil (Jonathon's Update)

It is finally time to start my Fulbright Scholarship! Here are some highlights from my first week in Brazil:

Monday: I left home for Brazil with stops in Houston and São Paulo.
 
Tuesday: I finally arrived in Salvador. I was so tired, but my awesome host Emilio Lanna picked me up from the airport and treated me to a traditional dish from the city called Bobó de camarão--a shrimp-based soup.



Wednesday: I got settled into my apartment and walked along the beach to the famous lighthouse at the tip of the bay. I also got caught up on some things I needed to do for students back home.


Thursday: I walked to the lab and met some of the other professors. It was great to get to know the interesting research they are doing. We also did a lot of planning for our research project sequencing the DNA of a sea sponge and looking at gene expression changes during its reproductive cycle.

Friday: Emilio and I went snorkeling in the morning to collect sponge samples for our research project. We then took them to the lab where a postdoc started processing them.

 


Saturday: I took another walk through the city and went to the mall, where I bought Brazil's unofficial shoe--Havaiana flip flops.


I have walked through the city several times, and I walk to campus every day. My apartment is right by some famous statues known as the "gordinhas" (fat girls).


I have also continued to settle into Brazilian food, including the Brazilian version of a burger (notice the peas and corn).


Sunday: I went to church here in Brazil for the first time since my mission with my Brazilian graduate student. It was great, and a bunch of people came up to introduce themselves and welcome me. It is small (50 people were there) but very strong. There wasn't a single second of time open during testimony meeting, and Sunday School was full of good comments.

Brazilians are so nice and welcoming. Everyone has made me feel at home and offered to help in any way they can. I am excited to really get going on my research and to prepare for the class I will teach this next week.

No comments: