After a year serving in the Everett, Washington mission (mostly on the San Juan Islands), Mom and Dad H. finally came home. Even though it was only a year, it felt like a long time, and we were so happy to have them back!
On the day they were to arrive home, I took the kids over to their house and we chalked their driveway. Tera and her kids were also there helping to decorate. All the kids contributed some cute drawings. Hyrum's was especially sweet. He drew himself in between grandpa and grandma as missionaries. When they pulled up, we were all so excited. We had some pizza and ice cream ready to celebrate with them. I was just so happy to see them and to see my kids get to hug their grandparents that I forgot to take pictures until later.
All missions require some sacrifices, but I don't think I understood how much senior missionaries give up. During the year they were gone, Chantel had her white coat ceremony for occupational therapy school, Tiffany had a new baby, and all the grandkids grew and changed. They left their home and their friends and their family and went to teach the gospel. I am so grateful for the example that they set for our boys. Yes, it was hard, but they handled it with grace and faith.
The following Sunday was their mission homecoming. Mom spoke about how much she loved the people and told many stories about how serving others helped bring about Heavenly Father's work. It was neat to hear about people we had met and places we got to go to during our visit. She spoke with such enthusiasm for the work. Dad was much more reserved and soft-spoken (as is his nature). He talked about consecration and described the blessings that occurred because of their sacrifices. It was a very spiritual message, and his words touched my heart. It was such a good meeting, and I felt tremendous love for them and their faithfulness. Welcome home, Elder and Sister Hill!






No comments:
Post a Comment