Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

February 18, 2022

Job Update


I have now been working for about 6 months. It has been a great learning experience for me, and it is going well enough that I applied to do it again next year. As far as family life goes, I have been very happy with how smoothly the transition has been. Aside from having to adjust when I do chores and needing more help from the boys, it really hasn't impacted our routine too much. The schedule is ideal, and I really couldn't ask for a better situation (aside from the lack of pay :)

I have really enjoyed almost all of my assignments so far. I start the day at the crosswalk before school starts. It can be dreadfully cold at times, but at least it is easy and short. I dislike days when it is raining and snowing, but the woman that I work with is awesome. I love Lisa! She is truly a gem. She shows love through doing kind deeds and making yummy treats. She is always thinking of others, and we get along so well. It is nice to have someone else out there that can take over if one of us needs to be gone. I have gotten to know all of the students that get dropped off at my area, and I try to make an effort to smile and say hi to them every morning. 

My favorite thing that I get to do is math test proctoring. Last year the legislature passed a law requiring that all schools in the state of Utah give the Acadience Math Test to students in 1st-3rd grades three times a year. The tests help catch students that are struggling, measure growth throughout the year, and inform teachers about what they can do better. I am one of three math proctors at our school that gets to administer the tests. We had to be specially trained to be able to give it accurately and to grade it based on their scoring criteria.

Giving the tests, grading them, and inputting all of the data really fits with my talents well. It requires a great deal of organization and precision, which I think I am pretty good at. For first grade, we must test each student individually using a standard oral test. We also give each first grade class 2 written tests. For 2nd and 3rd grade, we just administer 3 short written tests to the whole class. Once all of the tests have been taken, we grade them all and enter them into a database. It is quite a bit of work, but we have a month to get them all done. This happens in September, January, and April. It would be plenty of time in a normal situation, but the PCSD wasn't able to hire enough math proctors, so the Lakeview proctors are responsible for handling all of the testing at Franklin Elementary as well. That adds a lot more to our workload, but the administration and staff at Franklin have been so gracious and kind. They are continually thanking us for our help and doing little things to make us feel appreciated. It is easy to being willing to help people like that.

Three proctors were originally hired, but in January, Kaylee left to serve a mission. We were so sad to lose her. She was so full of enthusiasm and just embodied happiness. She always made cute decorations for our room, had a fun story to tell, and had a smile on her face. She will be an excellent missionary. Rebecca and I are now responsible for all the testing, but so far we have made it work. I really enjoy working with Rebecca. She has worked at the school for 12+ years and teaches piano on the side. She is a grandma to 5, and we get along well. We are both perfectionists who like to be organized and follow rules. It has worked out really well to be teamed up with her. 

When we are not testing, I have a bunch of other responsibilities at the school. Most of my work is with math interventions. Every morning I help in a 6th grade classroom, teach a math intervention group, and then help in a 5th grade classroom. Apparently, math aides are particularly hard to find because not many people feel confident teaching math, especially in the higher grades. I have never loved math, but I am decent at it and can handle everything they are learning. Working in the classroom helping struggling students is good, but I really enjoy that I get to teach my own class. During interventions, the 6th grade teachers assign us a subject that they are reviewing, and we get to teach it to a group of students. It has been fun using my teaching skills and seeing growth in the students. 

After 6th grade interventions, I go help with math in a 5th grade classroom. They are my favorite group of students. They have big personalities and have really made me feel loved and appreciated. Every time I enter the classroom, they wave and say, "Hi Mrs. Hill!" A few weeks into the year, Jamie said she needed to move me into a different classroom. I was sad when I had to tell them, and they all looked devastated. After one day, Jamie was able to find someone else, and I got to go back. It was so darn cute when I walked in, and they all cheered! Love them!

Next, I get to teach Kindergarten literacy interventions. I love my Kindergarteners too. They are just learning letters, sounds, and how language/reading works, so I get to see them make a lot of progress. The program itself is a little boring, but when I get to add my own touch to it, I like it a lot more. It can be difficult at times when certain students won't focus or they aren't getting a concept, but mostly it is just fun. My other literacy assignment is in 5th grade. They don't really need me to do anything because it is just time for silent reading, so I mostly just monitor the students while the teacher works with those that need extra help. It is dreadfully boring, and would gladly trade that assignment. In the afternoons, I have some spare time where I substitute for other literacy aides who are gone. I didn't think I would be used that much, but I am regularly teaching classes to help out.

Working has been better than expected, and I just signed up to do it again next year. With the extra pay, Jonathon has encouraged me to plan some great family vacations to make happy memories while our kids are still at home. I love him for understanding that those things are so important to me.

No comments: