Hannah and Jake were expecting their first baby at the beginning of June. This was such an exciting thing because they have been wanting a baby for a long time. Everyone in the family was just thrilled for them! We planned a big baby shower to celebrate. Since Kym and I were doing homeschool, we decided to go up and take the kids (minus Christian who had a scout campout). Jonathon had to work, so Hyrum, Andrew, and I jumped in with Joe and Kym in the big van.
I was in charge of making cookies for the baby shower, and I thought it would be better to make them ahead of time so that I could play more while I was in Idaho. Hannah's theme was dinosaurs, so I made a bunch of dinosaur sugar cookies. I used royal icing to decorate fancy cookies. They were taking a really long time, so Jonathon grabbed some icing and helped me. He's the best. I even packaged them individually as per Mom's request. I think they turned out amazingly cute! I almost didn't want to eat them because they were so nice!
The shower was so fun. All the sisters and sister-in-laws helped to decorate, and it was awesome. Mom bought a balloon arch off the internet, and we put it all together. I had no idea how easy they were to make and what a great centerpiece it would be. Grandma Ogborn and Aunt Tracie flew in for the weekend, and all our aunts and cousins in the area came to celebrate Hannah and baby. We spent 2 hours chatting and enjoying the company.
For the rest of the time we were there, we played games, went to Uncle Mike's pool, and enjoyed lovely evenings in the yard. It was a pretty short trip, but well worth it.
We left on Monday morning and got word on Wednesday that Hannah was in the hospital ready to have her baby. We were so close to being there! The baby came about 10 days early on Wednesday, May 26, 2021 @ 8:49 pm. The family had nicknamed him Alan after Dr. Alan Grant (Hannah's favorite movie is Jurassic Park). We were all surprised to hear that the name stuck, and they actually named him Alan! I guess they had gotten used to the name and liked it! His full name is Jacob Alan McDonald, and he is so sweet! He even has red hair! I am so thrilled for them!
Baby Alan had a little bit of a rough first week and had to spend several days in the hospital. They were worried about a genetic disease of the colon called Hirschsprung's Disease because he did not have a bowel movement soon enough after birth. They transferred him via ambulance to Boise to get tests done and watch him for several days. Finally, they got the "all clear" and they were all able to go home. It was a stressful few days for Hannah and the family, but everything worked out in the end.
I remember when we were having babies, we were dirt poor and saving every penny. Newborn photos were so expensive for us back then, and I will forever regret not getting beautiful pics of my babies. Hannah and Jake are pretty tight on money right now because they just bought a house, so I asked Jonathon if it was all right if we paid for them to get some newborn photos taken. Of course, he said yes, so we found someone in the area and set it up. The pictures turned out so good, and I hope when they look back, they will love them.


No comments:
Post a Comment