Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

May 10, 2020

Corona Quarantine Week 8 -- Opening Back Up

Things are slowly opening back up from the virus. On May 1st, the first phase of reopening started with a few stores and restaurants being allowed to reopen and gatherings of less than 20 allowed. It is a little weird though because while we have flattened the curve, the risk of contracting the virus is still as high as it ever was. In fact, Utah county, our zip code specifically, is a hotspot right now and is seeing increased cases.

I have to wonder what all of the quarantine was for. I hope it was the right thing to do because now the economy is in shambles, unemployment has skyrocketed, and people are suffering. Looking backward is often not helpful though, so we just have to keep moving forward.

We haven't really been out much. I went to a couple of stores (with a face mask and hand sanitizer), and we had a social distancing dinner at Jonathon's parents, but other than that, we are still basically in quarantine. I have a bit of PTSD from all of this. Every time I go out, I am overzealous about avoiding germs. I have had a runny nose and sinus issues for several weeks. It has been so long that I think it is just a touch of spring allergies, but I'm so worried about possibly spreading a sickness to someone that I am hesitant to go anywhere around people. It will be an interesting return to the new normal.

We got official word that our August cruise was cancelled by Carnival. Luckily, since they cancelled on us, we got 100% of our money back and $600 in onboard credit for a future cruise. It was such an awesome deal that we already booked another one for October with Joe and Kym's family. That cruise ended up being slightly cheaper, and now we have the extra money of onboard credit. I sure hope it happens because it will be tons of fun! Our kids are really looking forward to it.

School is winding up for the year. Andrew and Hyrum only have a few days left of work and most of it is just class parties on Zoom. On Friday, the school had a teacher parade to celebrate. I was surprised how emotional it was to see all of the wonderful teachers who have helped the kids through this crazy time. Hyrum and Andrew made signs and waved to them. It was not the way anyone wanted this school year to end, but it was fun to cheer as they all drove by.


Christian has quite a lot of work left, and he is eagerly looking forward to the end. Junior High is definitely harder to do online than Elementary. He is working very hard, and I really applaud his efforts. He has gained a lot of study skills during this time, and I hope they will benefit him in the future. One more week until he is basically done for the year. Hopefully, school resumes next year, but who knows. The whole world is in disarray, so nothing will surprise me too much now.

No comments: