As the months went on, I decided that even if I wasn't heavily involved in the planning, I could still try to make a difference for the girls. I worked really hard to find and bond with the girls who were struggling or not feeling included. That made a huge difference in my attitude about the calling. I really enjoyed getting to know the girls and spending time with them. I don't get a lot of girl time in my life, so it was nice.
We did several fun things throughout the next few months. One of them was learning the ukulele. Although I thought it was much too big and expensive of an undertaking, I wanted to support our leader, so I jumped in and started learning how to play. It was fun to learn a few songs and teach them to the girls. I recorded me singing and playing one song, "Ask of God," so that the girls could learn it. I am going to include the video here so that I can find it in the future. The uke is a great beginner instrument, and even if the girls don't continue on with it, they learned a little about music that will hopefully benefit them in the future.
We also had a Day Camp activity at the Ropes Course near us. We did some team building activities, a zipline, a giant swing, and canoes. We were all a bit scared, but together we had the courage to do something new. I did the swing, and it was definitely a rush of adrenaline, but it was so fun. Doing hard things together is a real bonding experience.
In November, our main leader was out of town, so some of us new leaders had the chance to plan an activity. We asked some of the girls that were leaving next year what they would like to do. They chose kickball and a spa day. We incorporated those two different ideas and had a great activity. I loved seeing them enjoy something that they got to choose.
Right after that activity, I was released from my calling. I was shocked! I had only been in about 6 months, and I didn't see it coming at all. I was actually a little sad because I felt like I was just getting into a groove with the program and with the girls. It's funny how things work sometimes, but I have faith that Heavenly Father will help me grow and develop in whatever calling I am in. I am happy to serve and will do my best wherever I am. Apparently, right now I am needed as a co-Primary chorister. It is bit of a tricky situation that I got called into, but I love teaching Primary music, so I'm sure it will all work out.


No comments:
Post a Comment