Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

September 10, 2019

Quality Time and The Great British Baking Show

Lately, I have found it a bit challenging to spend quality time with my boys. When they were little, it was easy to read a book to them or play Candyland together, but as they have gotten older, I have begun to realize that they are definitely more like Jonathon in their interests. They love to program things on the computer, build electronics projects, and play video games... all of which I find oh so boring. 

I sometimes find myself feeling sad that I didn't get a girl that would enjoy going to musicals, braiding hair, playing in the band, singing, or scrapbooking with me. When that happens, I try to count my blessings and be grateful for the awesome boys that I got, but there are still feelings of loss at times. 

Since meaningful connections with my boys are hard to come by, when I do find something, I really go all in and hold onto it. I think that is one of the reasons that all things Harry Potter have become so important to our family. Yes, I thoroughly adore the books, but they have also provided me with a bonding opportunity with my boys. That's why we watch the movies, go to Harry Potterland, and have parties... because it brings us closer together. 

Recently, we found another way to bond that was quite unexpected. My Singing Group friends had long told me that I needed to start watching The Great British Baking Show. They raved about how good it was and thought I would love it. For one reason or another, I wasn't too interested and never tried watching it. Finally, this Summer, I decided to give it a try. I sat down to watch it one evening while the kids were playing around before bed. To my amazement, one by one, they all came and sat down to watch it with me. By the end of the show, we were all hooked!

Throughout the remaining summer, whenever we had a free night, the boys would ask if we could watch GBBS, as they nicknamed it. I thought it was so funny that they were so interested it it, but I enjoyed spending time with them and was glad we could watch it together. After a few episodes, they started asking if we could make some of the recipes on the show. Of course, I said "Yes!" 

We made a list of the most interesting and delicious looking recipes to try. One of the things on their list was french macarons. We printed out the recipe, bought the supplies, and then worked together to make them. Our first attempt was ok, but not quite right. Our second attempt turned out amazing! The boys helped with all the steps and really learned a lot about baking in the process. They especially enjoyed eating the fruits of our labors.


It's been a few months now since we started. We have made it through several seasons of the show and have experimented with a few more recipes. One of my favorite things is when the boys start speaking in their British accents and saying things like, "Let's just whack it in the oven" or "This tastes scrummy!" 

Andrew has especially enjoyed it. For Christmas, we got him an apron and printed off a bunch of recipes for his own GBBS cookbook. During season 4 of the Netflix show, there was a contestant named Andrew that we were all cheering for. He definitely wanted his namesake to win! Andrew didn't win, but made it to the Final, so we were excited to the very end. 

We don't have a ton of spare evenings with Bishopric, Scouts, Piano, schoolwork, etc., but we have found a few opportunities to make some more recipes. Aside from the macarons, we have also done apple pie doughnuts (just ok because we baked them instead of frying), cream horns (easy and delicious), and Viennese whirls (fancy and so yummy!). 



I don't know how long their excitement about this particular thing will last, but I will enjoy it while I can. Not only does it give us some together time, but it also teaches them some really good skills. Their future wives will thank me one day! Until then, bring on the next baking adventure!

No comments: