There are so many perks to living close to BYU. We have endless opportunities to attend sporting events, plays, and church events. Sometimes I am still amazed that we are here and living the dream. One of the coolest things is the opportunity to take visitors to see BYU campus and go on a tour of where Jonathon works. I really think that there is a special spirit at BYU, and I love to get to share that with other people. When Hyrum's preschool teacher announced that they were going on a field trip to BYU, I knew I wanted to be involved and help chaperone.
To make the field trip even more fun, Mrs. Taylor arranged for everyone to ride the city bus over to BYU. The adults were a bit antsy trying to keep all the kids safe and quiet for other riders, but the kids loved it! I don't think most of them had ever ridden a bus before, so they were thrilled!

When we arrived, our first stop was to visit Jonathon at work. Hyrum was super excited to show everyone Dad's fish room. Jonathon brought a couple of containers of his zebra fish out into the hall so that all the kids could see them up close. He then talked to them about how everyone is different and showed them the differences on the fish and how he was studying the differences to be able to understand them better. He did such an excellent job of making complex things understandable and relatable to kids. To finish up, he brought out his famous jar of Swedish fish and let each of the kids have one. I think it was a big hit amongst the 4 year old crowd. Hyrum's teacher was also super impressed and was so complimentary of everything he did.

After the fish, we went to the Eyring Science Center and let the kiddos try out some of the cool science experiments in the lobby. Hyrum played with the vortex cannon for 15 minutes straight. He giggled and giggled as the air would blow the hair of the person down below. It was so cute to see such pure childish delight.
After the kids had their fill, we ate lunch and took pictures before heading back to the bus stop. The kids were so tired from all of the walking, but they couldn't stop talking about everything they did. It was so much fun, and I know Hyrum loved showing all of his friends his Dad's work.
No comments:
Post a Comment