I always love General Conference, but this was a particularly special one because we were able to sustain a new prophet. President Monson died at the beginning of January. It wasn't a huge shock because he had been in poor health, but I always feel a loss when our Prophets die. To be perfectly honest, I didn't really know a lot about our new Prophet, Russell M. Nelson. I knew that he was a world-renowned heart surgeon, and I have heard him speak many times over my lifetime, but I never really had a strong connection with him.When Conference rolled around, my brother, Joe, and his family were up visiting us, along with Hannah and Jake from Rexburg. With 8 little kids running all over the house, it was impossible to listen to the Saturday sessions. I decided that rather than listen to it halfway, I would wait and listen to those two sessions another time when I could concentrate and really pay attention.
All the sessions were amazing! There was so much energy throughout all the meetings with several organizational changes announced (combined Elder's Quorum and new Ministering Program) and new faces in the quorum of the 12 (Elder Soares and Elder Gong). I was feeling on a spiritual high when the Sunday afternoon session neared the end. Then President Nelson made yet another surprise announcement of new temples to be built. The announcement of a temple in Russia got some gasps, but the one nearest and dearest to my heart was a temple in Layton, UT. I thought of all our friends in Layton and was overcome with happiness for them and their new temple. I immediately texted Michelle because I knew she would be the most excited about it. What a wonderful time we live in, and what amazing blessings are being given to the Saints!
More than anything, the Sunday sessions gave me a deep and abiding testimony that President Nelson is the Prophet that the Lord chose to run His church right now. I was filled with a love and respect for him that was almost instant and so unexpected. I had never really noticed the twinkle in his eyes, the energy of his spirit, or the compassion in his actions and demeanor. The connection that I had never really felt before suddenly became real and genuine. On Monday night for Family Home Evening, our family watched the Saturday morning session where the solemn assembly was held to sustain President Nelson. As each of the various groups stood up, I was in awe of the miracle of living prophets. I knew that I could fully sustain Russell M. Nelson as our new prophet. It was a great experience to stand in our home, with our family, and sustain him. I know our kids are young, but I hope they felt a little of that spirit and will remember the occasion.
Since then, I have had the opportunity to give a Primary Sharing Time lesson about President Nelson. I loved learning about his life. I can't even believe what an incredible man he is. He has been prepared his whole life for this time.
I also re-listened to all of the conference talks twice (as challenged by Bishop Skeen). It has been enlightening for me. It feels like the Church is entering a new era, presumably because we are being prepared as the Second Coming gets closer. It very much reminds me of the Jews at the time of Christ. They were comfortable in their way of practicing the Gospel. They liked having specific rules about how everything should be done. Then Christ came and asked them to do better and be more. Unfortunately, many turned away and lost their testimonies. It feels like we have been given higher laws now to minister and to be one. It's no longer about numbers on a page or separation of priesthood quorums. We are now supposed to simply take care of each other, as Christ would. We are being thrust out of our comfort zone and asked to do better and be more. Things are moving forward at a faster pace, and the world is opening up to the Gospel. It is not going to be easy. I see more and more people falling away every day. Political and moral issues are dividing the world and the Saints. But we are also being blessed with more temples around the world to give us strength. We are being guided and directed by a living prophet, and thus by God, himself. We knew what we signed up for, and now we must be strong and of good courage to accomplish that work. What a remarkable time to be alive and part of Christ's church!
1 comment:
All the sudden you have all these posts! I had similar feelings to you regarding Pres. Nelson--I didn't feel like I had a strong connection to him but I KNOW he is def the man the Lord wants! And the more I read about him...holy cow! I'm blown away! And I loved that you texted me about the temple. So amazing!!! Let's def get together soon...it was great to see Jonathon last weekend and I missed seeing you.
Post a Comment