Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

December 1, 2017

The Best of Thanksgivings

As an adult, Thanksgiving has become one of my very favorite holidays. I adore the harvest themes and decorations, I crave spending uninterrupted time with my whole family that I don't see nearly often enough, and celebrating things that you are grateful so is just so good for the soul. Thanksgiving now occupies an even more sacred place in my heart as it represents the anniversary of my cancer-free surgery results. This Thanksgiving marked four years since that much prayed for phone call. As long as I am privileged to live, that will aways be near the top of my Gratitude List.

This Thanksgiving was particularly wonderful. Jonathon and I seemingly limped into Thanksgiving week with the last bit of energy we could muster. All month long, we just kept telling ourselves that we just needed to make it to Thanksgiving, and then we could take a much needed break from work, and church callings, and stress. We were tired, our energy was spent, but we made it. And oh how glorious it was! We savored every moment of rest and relaxation. We enjoyed playing games with the family even more than usual. The heavenly food tasted even better, and we were truly grateful for every minute of our trip to Idaho.

My mom really went all out this year! She had a house completely full of people, but that didn't keep her from preparing so many fun things for adults and kids. Every day was a new adventure, and we soaked up every last memory-making opportunity we could.

Grandpa and Grandma O. and Aunt Teresa and her kids flew in from California, and all of my siblings and their families were able to be there. In total there were around 30 people at the house most days and a whopping 42 people for Thanksgiving dinner. Here is a taste of the fun:

STEM DAY
On Tuesday, the first full day we were there, mom set up the garage with little tables and chairs for the kids. Then she brought out tons of cardboard, markers, tools, old appliances, etc. for all the kids to spend some time creating a project. The younger kids mostly did art projects while the older kids took apart electronics and learned how they worked. My boys were in heaven. Hyrum used an old cardboard box to create a doctor's office complete with a window made from plastic wrap, bandaids made from painter's tape,  medical signs drawn all over the walls, and real working (Christmas) lights that Christian helped him install in his "office." Andrew and Christian took apart old radios and kitchen gadgets and created their own works of art. Christian was even able to create a battery-operated speaker out of old parts. The project kept every kid occupied, happy, and out of the house for 3-4 hours. It was just the best activity ever.



HAIR CUT
The only person that I really trust with my hair lives in Nampa, so it isn't often that I get the chance to go to her. I had my mom schedule me an appointment several weeks before so that I would be sure to get in. My hair was so long... maybe longer than I have ever had it before. I have enjoyed having it long, but I also knew that it wasn't very healthy any more. I was ready for a change. I decided to get a medium length cut with a few long bangs. She did a great job, and I was thrilled with how it turned out. It feels so much lighter and silkier. It is a fun change.



SOCCER CAMP
My sister-in-law, Claire, is an incredible soccer player. She is uber talented and volunteered to do a soccer camp with all of the kids. They all spent the morning outside running drills and practicing with Aunt Claire. Later in the week, Jonathon took the kids out and played a soccer game with all of them. Not only did they have a blast, but it also gave the other moms and dads a break for a few hours. In our spare time, we played so many games.... Seven Wonders, Code Names, Pictionary, Scattergories, and on and on. It is one of our favorite things to do when we are together.

OGBORN CONVERSION NIGHT
One of the highlights of the week was the night dedicated to my Grandpa O. and his conversion story. Mom, Hannah, and I had been secretly working on a special children's book that we would present to all the families. We were super excited to give it to everyone. The night started with Gpa and Gma making a traditional southern dinner of gumbo and cornbread. Then my Mom read our book "Mississippi Miracle" to all the grandkids. It was so fun to hear our story being read and see all the hard work come to fruition. After each family received their own copy of the book, Gpa showed a chart of his whole family and answered questions about the conversion story. For dessert, they made another southern delight, pralines, made of pecans and caramel. What a wonderful night it was to learn about our family history and express gratitude for the gift of the gospel!


THANKSGIVING DAY
On Thanksgiving morning, we awoke to the most beautiful day. The weather was mild and there was no wind. It was the warmest Thanksgiving that I ever remember and made for such a lovely day. We started the day off with our traditional Turkey Trot. Most people walked the 1-2 miles, but some were able to run it (including Jonathon, Andrew, and McKay).

After the walk, we got to work in the kitchen preparing for the big meal. I made 10 dozen homemade rolls while everyone else was busy making turkey, sweet potatoes, stuffing, salads, potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, punch, and so many delicious pies!

The meal was delicious and we spent the afternoon playing games and resting. Some of the boys competed in a trap shooting contest, which Jake won, and in the evening, we shot bow and arrows for a while before putting the kids to bed and doing Uncle Pud's Trivia contest. The whole day reminded me that we are blessed beyond comprehension.


 

UNCLE MIKE'S POOL
No trip to Idaho is complete without a trip to the pool. My kids pretty much learned how to swim because of the times we have gone in Idaho. They love swimming, going down the slide, and jumping off the diving board. I enjoy the swimming, but what I really can't get enough of is Uncle Mike's homemade french fries. No one does it better than Uncle Mike, and we went through pounds and pounds of french fries for dinner that night.

CHRISTMAS
Since we are on a rotating schedule for holidays, on the years we don't get to have Christmas with my family, we have a mini-Christmas while we are all together after Thanksgiving. The night was full of music, laughter, presents, and so many smiles. It was so fun to watch everyone open a few presents and see the kids so excited with their new gifts. Matt and Katie got us an awesome fire pit that I am so excited to try out next summer. Mom and Dad gave it to us a few days early, but they made us all a book for Christmas about the Proclamation to the Family with pictures from our own families. They challenged us to memorize the Proclamation and make it a bigger part of our family study. It was beautiful and so timely in this crazy world.

CHARLIE'S BLESSING
The last day of our trip was a baby blessing for Matt and Katie's little boy, Charlie. I was in baby heaven the whole week with three little nieces and nephews to play with and snuggle. They are all so sweet, and it will be fun to see them as they grow up together.

Charlie, Elena, and Ruby

Charlie is the youngest of the group. Matt blessed him in church on Sunday while the whole family was there. It was a special day. We had a big brunch (breakfast burritos and yogurt parfaits) afterward to celebrate the special occasion.


Then it was time to go home. We had done everything we wanted to, so it wasn't too sad to have to leave. The kids were amazing travelers. We only had to stop once for gas and made it home in record time. When we got home, we felt like we could get back to work and handle our stresses again because we were well rested and rejuvenated. It was one of the best Thanksgivings ever!

No comments: