The boys were interested in doing the challenge, so I helped remind them to read their scriptures every day. There were definitely days that they missed reading, but they read very consistently. By the end of the year, both Christian and Andrew had their chart completely filled out. Christian finished the entire Book of Mormon and was halfway through the New Testament. I was so proud of him for committing to do something hard and accomplishing it. Andrew also did great. He is only in second grade and made it to the book of Alma. That is some amazing reading for a 7 year old!
Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.
January 5, 2017
I Know the Scriptures are True!
Last year in Primary, the theme was "I Know the Scriptures Are True." In May our Primary Chorister, Brittany Vom Lehn, decided she wanted to make it more real for the children by encouraging them to actually read their scriptures daily and find out for themselves if they were true. She gave them a Scripture chart, and if they were able to fill out the squares by the end of the year, they would be rewarded with a special dessert of their choosing. When she presented this idea, she emphasized how important it would be for the children now and in the future to have a testimony of the scriptures as they go through difficult times. I was struck by how true that was. These children are growing up in challenging times when there are so many distractions and things that can lead them astray. If they can learn to love and use the scriptures now, it will be a huge boon for them throughout their lives.
The boys were interested in doing the challenge, so I helped remind them to read their scriptures every day. There were definitely days that they missed reading, but they read very consistently. By the end of the year, both Christian and Andrew had their chart completely filled out. Christian finished the entire Book of Mormon and was halfway through the New Testament. I was so proud of him for committing to do something hard and accomplishing it. Andrew also did great. He is only in second grade and made it to the book of Alma. That is some amazing reading for a 7 year old!
At the end of December, the boys turned in their challenge paper and were allowed to choose a homemade treat. Our awesome chorister made the special treats for them, and they were thrilled when she dropped off heaping trays of goodies. Christian chose brownies and Andrew chose cookies. I can not express how grateful I am for wonderful people who love and teach my children the Gospel. Her example and motivation was just what the boys needed at the time, and I know that it was a huge step in their lives in learning to love the scriptures. They have continued their good habits, and hopefully they will always love to read the scriptures and know that they are true.
The boys were interested in doing the challenge, so I helped remind them to read their scriptures every day. There were definitely days that they missed reading, but they read very consistently. By the end of the year, both Christian and Andrew had their chart completely filled out. Christian finished the entire Book of Mormon and was halfway through the New Testament. I was so proud of him for committing to do something hard and accomplishing it. Andrew also did great. He is only in second grade and made it to the book of Alma. That is some amazing reading for a 7 year old!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What an awesome idea! That is so wonderful that your boys both took the challenge. I feel the same way… I hope I can instill a love of the Scriptures into my kids at an early age. So far though, I don't know if we've had much success. :-)
Post a Comment