Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

December 15, 2016

The Nutcracker

I got to chaperone Christian's recent field trip to see the Nutcracker. I have never seen the Nutcracker, so I jumped at the chance. BYU is having Finals this week, so Jonathon didn't have any classes to teach and could work at home for the morning so that I could go with Christian. The ballet was at the Covey Center. We had special access to the entire place because the mom of a girl in Christian's class is a bigwig at the Covey Center. She took us around to see all of the art exhibits, and then got us back stage before the performance. There were three other moms chaperoning, so we were only responsible for three kids (including our own)... not bad at all!

The ballet was magnificent. I was so in awe of the way that ballerinas move. They are so graceful that they seem to float around the stage. The amount of dedication and time that they have put into perfecting their craft is beyond my comprehension. Every single muscle has been painstakingly toned and strengthened until they all work together to create the beautiful movements. It was one of those things that I can really appreciate because I could never get close to doing anything like it.

Aside from the movement and grace of the ballerinas, the music was also phenomenal. I have long loved many of the songs from the Nutcracker, and it was fun to see it all put together. Christian and the other two boys with us weren't terribly excited about the ballet. When I asked what they thought, they shrugged their shoulder and said, "eh." Haha! At least I thought it was a terrific field trip!





No comments: