Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

January 30, 2016

Our Temple

When we lived in Layton, we had the opportunity to volunteer for the Ogden Temple Open House before it was rededicated. We didn't do anything too important (usher and parking), but the experience really gave us a special bond to that temple. It felt like our temple, and we loved going there. After we moved, we realized that the new Provo City Center Temple would be our new temple. It was quite exciting to know that we would get to volunteer again at another Open House and then get to attend the temple that was once the historic tabernacle.


When the volunteer sign-up sheets were passed around, we grabbed three different time slots. There were plenty opportunities to go around because so many volunteers were needed. On January 23rd, we got our first chance to go. We had initially signed up for a shift during the middle of the day, but the schedule got changed and we ended up from 6:00-10:30. Chantel was so nice to come watch our kids so that we could go.

When we arrived, we got put into groups. We ended up in the "Pavilion". We got our volunteer badges and then headed out to find our posts. Jonathon ended up moving around quite a bit, but I stayed in the information booth in the pavilion for the whole 4 hours. I really didn't know a lot of the answers to the questions that people asked, but I made an effort to find out the answers in case I got asked again. Now, I am full of information about the pavilion. Ha!


It turns out that the pavilion/gazebo is going to be used as a waiting area for families who are part of the wedding party, but not in the actual sealing ceremony. That is such a genius idea. The families and kids can be outside of the temple in a place protected from the weather, and it won't be so important and necessary to keep the kids absolutely quiet. There was a lot of room in the pavilion, and it will be a lovely waiting area. There is also a replica of the Christus inside the pavilion that will stay there, so it will be an amazing place to be.

As our shift was wrapping up, our supervisor came around and asked if we would like a tour of the temple afterward since all of the public would be gone. Jonathon and I both jumped at the chance to see the temple without our crazy boys distracting us, so we agreed. It ended up being us and one other couple. I thought we would just be going on a normal tour like everyone else got, but I was shocked and amazed when we were given a personal tour by our supervisor. He took us through the whole temple into rooms that the general public doesn't see on the tour. He told us stories of various General Authorities that had toured the temple and told us special things about the history and architecture of the temple. We spent the whole 45 minutes in complete awe.

One of my favorite parts of the tour was when he took us into the children's waiting room. I have never been into that room in any temple, so it was extra special. That room is were children who are going to be sealed to their families wait while the other ceremonies are happening. Inside was a small table with little chairs that were upholstered in the same fabric that was found throughout the temple, two beautiful cribs, two rocking chairs, and examples of the white clothing that infants and children wear. As our supervisor talked about this special room and the meaning that it had for families who were finally being sealed to their children, I got a bit teary-eyed. What a special place to wait for one of the most important moments of their lives.

He also pointed out little details that I probably would not have noticed had I gone through on my own. The first floor of the temple has panels that are square. When you move to the second floor, the panels begin to be rounded on top. Finally, on the highest floor in the temple, the panels, ceilings, and decorations are all cathedral arches pointing toward heaven. It was such beautiful symbolism of getting nearer to heaven both literally and figuratively.

And, oh, the stained glass windows! Never have I seen such beautiful windows... And not just a few, dozens of gorgeous windows. All temples are exquisite and holy, but this temple took by breath away at every corner. I could not stop staring at the paintings, the craftsmanship of the wood, the way the light shone through the windows, and the feeling of peace and holiness that abounded.

As our tour came to a finish, we actually ended at the recommend desk at the main entrance to the temple (This temple actually has two recommend desks... one underground by the parking garage, and one above ground at the main entrance). Before we exited, our supervisor told us to turn around and look at the stained glass window above the recommend desk. It was stunning! He told us that this glass portrait of Christ came from an old Presbyterian church in New York that had been demolished. Someone had managed to save two of the stained glass windows and gave them to the church. This particular scene depicted Christ as The Good Shepherd. The detail, especially on Christ's face, was extraordinary, and the color of the glass was so deep and rich. The crimson reds, the royal purples, and bright blues were something I have never seen in stained glass. I told Jonathon that after seeing that window, we would have to walk the extra distance to go in at the main entrance every time we went to the temple so we could see that image.

http://www.ldsliving.com/Interior-Photos-Provo-City-Center-Temple/s/80971
The next weekend, we had the opportunity to take our whole family to the Open House. My parents came for a visit, and Joe and Kym's family drove up as well. We all got to go on the official tour. I loved pointing out all of the unique features to my kids to help them develop a love for this temple too. They were well-behaved, respectful, and seemed to enjoy the tour. It was snowing and freezing outside, but inside the temple was warm and peaceful.




All temples belong to the Saints throughout the world, but we left this temple with the undeniable feeling that this was OUR temple... the temple that we will attend regularly, the temple that we will drive by frequently, the temple that we will be pleased to share with our friends and neighbors. The experiences over the last few weeks cemented our connection with this new temple and made us excited for the dedication and the opportunity to serve there soon. The Spirit that exists there will remain in our hearts always.




1 comment:

Chelle said...

Oh this gives me tingles! You guys are so lucky you were able to volunteer at BOTH open houses! And HOW AWESOME to be able to go on a pretty much private tour with your guide! I loved reading your description of all these little details, and I can't WAIT to go thru it soon. And you guys are SO CLOSE to it! It really is your temple. :)