Every one knows we are a Harry Potter loving family. Two years ago, we all dressed up in Gryffindor robes and scarves that I made. Usually we don't re-do themes for Halloween, but this year was different. At a yardsale a few months ago, I found 3 "official" Gryffindor robes. They wanted $7 each, which normally I would say was a bit too pricey for a yardsale, but I knew that these robes were selling for between $75-100 each. I bartered with the seller and got a few extra things thrown in with the robes for free (i.e. HP book 3 on tape that we are almost finished with!), so I felt like I totally scored. The boys were in heaven! They ran around in their new robes for a whole week after we bought them. When Halloween rolled around, the boys decided they really wanted to use their cool new robes. I was totally on board with it because it meant two less costumes that I would have to make. I always like to do family costumes, so we brain-stormed some ideas for what the rest of us could be. We decided on Snape, Professor Trelawney, and Dobby. I thought they all turned out great! We got to wear our costumes to our Ward Trunk or Treat, Trick or Treating at Grandpa's work, and then on Halloween night.
Andrew's favorite character from the books is Ron, so he really wanted to dye his hair red. I must say he looks good as a red-head. Christian makes such a good Harry, so his costume was perfect.
| Snape, Snape, Severus Snape |
For my Trelawney costume, I talked to my sister, Hannah, who had several of the props (glasses, scarf, shawl, skirt). She was so nice to let me borrow them. They turned out perfect! I made my hair as big as I could get it, and carried a tea cup with the Grim. Haha! It was pretty awesome, except that I could hardly see with those glasses on!
"You have... the Grim!"
Truth be told, Halloween is one of my least favorite holidays (not a big fan of scary or gory things), but it certainly makes it a lot more fun to see your kids so happy. They had a glorious time going from office to office at Grandpa's work (Imagine Learning), and got so much candy. Then it was extra special this year because they got to trick or treat at Gma and Gpa's for the first time ever! Although they got tons of candy, we stuck with our tradition of letting them choose 10 pieces of candy to keep, and then we gave away the rest. We don't need that much sugar around the house, and since Hyrum is allergic to peanuts, most of the candy was dangerous for him anyway. The boys have grown up with the rule, so they had no problem with it and were perfectly content with their bag of candy. Harry Potter Halloween-- take 2 was a huge success!


1 comment:
I am laughing my head off at your Trelawney costume! It's perfect! Those glasses are too much. ☺️ you totally scored at that garage sale! Lucky...
Post a Comment