To help us get our house cleared out to sell it, we went through everything we owned and decided to keep, donate, sell, or trash. We ended up with a huge pile of sell items, so we decided to have a big yard sale. We held the Yard Sale at the end of March right before we went to California. My mom and Claire happened to be passing through Utah on their way to visit Kym and Joe, so they stopped in for the day to help, which was so appreciated.
I am a yard sale junkie, so I knew exactly what I liked and didn't like when it came to yard sale organization. We ended up with 8 long tables full of items. We organized them so that similar items were together (baby clothes, household, crafts, baby items, maternity clothes, furniture etc.) I hate digging through boxes of clothes, so we had them separated into sizes and folded on the table. We also had prices on everything so that people would know right away and not have to ask about everything. We had everything nicely organized on the tables in our garage the night before, so that when 8 am rolled around, we just moved all the tables out. It was pretty slick.
The boys really wanted to have a bake sale as part of the yard sale, but I completely ran out of time the day before to try to make the cinnamon rolls. Grandma came to the rescue and ran and bought donuts for them that morning. They were quite the little salesmen and made about $10 each.
We decided that all the money that we made from the yard sale would be used for our upcoming California trip. The day was a huge success! We had lots of people come by, and we sold tons of stuff. I felt like our prices were really reasonable, so most of it sold quickly. When 12:00 rolled around, we discounted everything that was left by 50% to try to get rid of as much as possible. We were all tired and ready to be done around 1:00 pm, so we decided to close up shop. Anything that was left, we put in bags and donated to DI. When all was said and done, we ended up making almost $300. We were thrilled!
1 comment:
Too bad I didn't know about your garage sale! I'm sure it would have been the most organized one i've ever been to! :-) Sounds like you know how to do it. That's awesome you made so much!
Post a Comment