Outside of the temple was a hosting tent where we got our family picture taken with The Christus, which is a specific statue of Christ with His arms outstretched. I love this picture of my family in the arms of Christ. It is so beautifully symbolic.
The outside of the temple was so beautiful. They added a fountain to the front, and had it immaculately landscaped. We took some pictures with my family, but Jonathon's family managed to escape... they tend to hide from my overzealous picture taking!
Being at the temple with our families was a fantastic end to a wonderful day. I felt rejuvenated and filled with the Spirit. I am so grateful to have the gospel in my life and to be able to share these wonderful experiences with the people I love most. Families can be together forever because of the work done in these remarkable buildings.
Another wonderful experience with the Ogden Temple Open House happened a few days later. Jonathon and I were able to volunteer to work in the temple to assist others that were attending the Open House. Stakes from all over the area were asked to get volunteers who would be willing to work 5 hour shifts on an assigned day. When we heard about the opportunity, we immediately volunteered. This could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and we were so excited to serve. Jonathon's mom was able to watch the boys for us so that we could cover the shift, which happened to be during the middle of the day. She is so kind and helps us so much.
We were both originally assigned to work as parking ushers. I was devastated because I knew with my ultra sensitive skin, I would sunburn really badly if I had to sit in the direct sun for 5 hours. I wasn't sure if I was even going to be able to do it, or if I should just give up my spot. Thankfully, we sent a quick email, and the director was very understanding and switched me so that I could work inside the tabernacle. I am so grateful that there was one spot left inside, just waiting to be filled.
When we first arrived, all of the volunteers met together for a brief prayer meeting and some instructions. We were told that we were part of over 27,000 people who had volunteered to work during the weeks that the Open House would be running. I felt a kinship with all of the faithful Saints who had taken time away from work and out of their days to be at the temple. It was a special feeling.
Jonathon spent the afternoon (from 11-4) on the corner of the temple grounds directing people where to go and making sure that the traffic and pedestrians got along:) He got to talk to a lot of interesting people, and only got slightly sunburned... even after slathering on the sunscreen. (Did I mention how thankful I was for an inside job?)
I spent the 5 hours in the new Tabernacle (a large meeting house next to the temple) welcoming visitors into a room where they got to watch an introductory video that talked about the history of Ogden, the history of temples, and the reason for building them. After the video, I led them to the doors of the tabernacle and sent them off to start the tour of the temple. I got to work in the room that was specially designated for those guests that were in wheelchairs and their families. I loved being able to greet all of the guests and share my love of the temple with them. As they exited the Tabernacle and headed for the temple, I smiled and thanked each of them for coming. I wanted them to feel happy and see my enthusiasm. Halfway through my shift, I had to laugh because the muscles in my cheeks were all sore from smiling so much. I guess that means I need to give them a little more exercise :) I watched the same 10 minute video at least 12 times, but it was well worth it. I am so grateful we had such a unique opportunity to serve. It really gave us a sense that this was "our" temple. I am excited for the dedication so that we can go and serve again by performing proxy ordinances.



1 comment:
Such a great experience. Such a beautiful temple. Your stories reminded me of my mission.
Post a Comment