Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

December 9, 2013

A Thanksgiving Miracle

This is another post in a series describing my diagnosis of ovarian cancer. To read the previous posts, click here.

One week after surgery, I was still sore and hadn't moved much out of my trusty recliner. We were planning to leave for Thanksgiving in Idaho, but weren't sure if I was feeling good enough to go. Jonathon kept encouraging me to go because he felt like it would really improve my spirits. Finally, he got me excited, and we decided that we needed to leave right away. We actually kept Christian home from school that day so we could leave earlier. We weren't sure how well Hyrum would travel (or me for that matter), so we figured we could use the extra time.

Jonathon had to do the majority of the packing since I still couldn't lift anything heavier than a milk jug. He got it done, and we hit the road. The first half of the trip was very smooth. Then we had to stop because I wasn't feeling well and had to stop a couple more times to feed Hyrum. It was a really long drive, but we finally made it.

I was thrilled to be home. Mom and Dad were so nice and gave up their room so that I could have a room with a comfortable bed and bathroom close. They also rearranged the living room so that I had a nice recliner to sit in. It immediately boosted my spirits to be with all of my family. There is such a great feeling and energy in my parents' home. I totally felt it and was so glad we decided to go.

My doctor told me that I could call and get my biopsy results a week after the surgery, but that ended up being just 2 days before Thanksgiving. I decided to wait until after the holidays to call so I didn't ruin the holidays if the results weren't good.

On the night before Thanksgiving, I noticed a voice message on my phone. As I listened to the message, I couldn't contain my emotions and the tears started. My wonderful doctor called to tell me that my biopsy results had all come back clean and no further treatment was necessary. He concluded the call by saying that he wanted to tell us the good news so that we wouldn't be worried over the holidays and would call to discuss more on Monday. After I hung up, I immediately told my mom, dad, and Jonathon. There were hugs all around and much happiness and rejoicing. The whole family was soon celebrating.

The timing just couldn't have been any better. Never before have I felt the spirit of Thanksgiving so powerfully. During this trial, I have really gained a new perspective on life. Not only have I gained a huge testimony of the power of prayer and fasting, but I have also learned that sometimes you have to lean on the strength and faith of others. This struggle has also been a huge lesson in compassion. When I first learned of the cancer, I was extremely caught up in my own sorrows. I did not handle the stress well, and my family suffered because of it. As peace filled my heart, I soon began to notice the sorrows and sadness of others. I was suddenly overwhelmed by the amount of suffering that people around me were also dealing with. My eyes were opened, and I felt so much compassion for the people around me. I still have a long way to go, but it is a start on the journey to where I need to be.

We did receive great news, but I can not be declared officially cancer-free for 5 years. I will have to go to the Huntsman Cancer Institute every 3 months to be checked to ensure that the cancer does not return. That is a small price to pay for the relief that we feel. Hopefully, we will not have to endure this trial again, but only time will tell. Whether it is cancer or another trial, I realize that this mortal life is about growing and becoming more like Christ. This has definitely been an extremely difficult thing to go through, but our family is better because of the things we have experienced. We now realize what is most important, we see the needs of others more clearly, and we have more faith in our Heavenly Father's plan for us. Hopefully, we never forget what cancer has taught us.

Again, thank you for all of the service, prayers, and fasting in our behalf. We feel so indebted to so many. We will spend the rest of our lives trying to pay it forward to others in need.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Thank you for sharing this Sarah. Your faith strengthens my faith. We love you and are so happy for your miracle!

Donna Mannewitz Christensen said...

Excellent news!! Excellent post!! I love reading about your feelings and the love of our redeemer!!

Stefani said...

YAY!! My heart is full! Thank for sharing, as always.

Kathryn said...

Great, great news Sarah! Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Bethany said...

Yipee! I have loved reading about your experience, trying as it is. It is an inspiration.

Kristy Anne said...

Sarah Anne!! My old bean. I am so happy to hear that you had a miracle. I feel kind of like a slacker for not reading your posts sooner. I cried right along with you and rejoiced at the end with you. Ovarian cysts are a scary thing and I'm so happy to hear that everything is okay. If you ever want to talk, I'm always here. Thank you for sharing such a personal journey on your blog. You are such an inspiration. And I'm sorry your insurance is so stupid. I miss you so much. When you're feeling up to it, let's do lunch. I'll come to you. We can have a picnic in your kitchen or something. :) LOVE YOU!!!!