This year, the party was set in 1940 on the last train to leave Paris before the invasion of the Nazis. We were each given a character to dress up as and play during the evening. Here is a brief rundown of the guests....
Michelle and Jared
Princess Idelle Chattre: Idelle is the strong-willed, quick to anger, and beautiful sole survivor of the noble Chattre family. She is a royal refugee driven to Paris by the advancing German troops.
Malcolm R. Conntint: Mal is restless, cynical, and secretive. Some say he makes his living in the active and thriving black market, some say he killed a man. Whatever the truth, he is an active participant in Paris high society.
Alice and Jeff
Barbra Z. Enhussie: Barbra may be described in a few words-- "rich, spoiled and beautiful." She is the daughter of the late French perfume king and is the center of lavish social activity.
Captain Weyland W. Awfcorce: Known to his men as "Wey", the captain is a pilot of renown. Born of English nobility and educated at Oxford, Wey epitomizes the strength, endurance, and noble character of the English.
Erin and Mike
Mary K. Trairie: A journalist for a large metropolitan U.S. newspaper, Mary has lingered in Paris to send the true story of the war in Europe home to her readers.
Khover T. Ageante: A well-traveled and worldly individual who is seldom home in Britain and often travels between Berlin and Paris. He is surrounded by an aura of mystery and no one seems to know exactly what his business is.
Sarah and Jonathon
Belinda Screete: A "couturiere extraordinaire" who is the owner of a thriving high-fashion studio. She is a clever and well-educated American that participates in society as actively and well as any. Vivacious and charming, she is a frequent guest at the homes of wealthy and influential citizens of Paris.
Duke Schwazhe B.U. Klare: Another victim of the German advance, the Duke fought his way through enemy lines to reach Paris. He is a man of noble bearing, schooled extensively in military matters and a swordsman of considerable talent. The Duke is not married and is considered to be one of the most eligible bachelors in Europe.
The Whole Group
I loved dressing up for this year's party. I wish the 40's fashions would come back into style. The hair, the clothes, and the fancy hats were so much fun. I found my pink jacket at the DI for cheap. I actually really like it and will probably wear it again. For the hair, I watched a YouTube video on how to do "victory rolls" which were extremely popular in the 40's. It was pretty hard to get it right, but it turned out passable. The hat was my favorite part. I watched another YouTube video on how to make a 1940's fascinator hat. Then I broke out my hot glue gun and got to work. I loved how it turned out! Here are some more pics that show it a little better.
For Jonathon's costume, he wore his suit and we made a sash out of some leftover red fabric. He then googled World War II medals and printed some out to decorate his "uniform." My favorite part of his costume was the slick backed hair and the mustache. He looked very Clark Gable-esque, and I loved it! Here is a close-up of his classy look:
What a fun party and a great way to celebrate one of our favorite people in the world!





No comments:
Post a Comment