Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

October 17, 2011

Primary Program

Ever since I got called to be the Primary Chorister in June, I have been focusing on, planning for, and practicing for the Primary Program. It took place yesterday during Sacrament Meeting, and I feel such a relief now that it is over!

I LOVE getting to be in Primary every week to teach music time, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't nervous about how the program would turn out. We had 13 songs this year, so I was feeling stretched pretty thin. In addition to the songs in the official program, I also taught the Books of the Old and New Testament and the Books in the Book of Mormon because they fit so well with the yearly theme "I Know the Scriptures are True". They are hard songs (the Jr. primary had an especially hard time with names like Habakkuk and Zephaniah, etc.), but I know that they will be invaluable as the children go to Seminary and need to know more of the scriptures. On Saturday we had our last practice before the program, and it was pretty rough. The Primary Presidency reassured me that every year it was like this on Saturday, but on Sunday it always turned out wonderfully.

Luckily, they were right!

The children all did a great job on their parts. I was really impressed with how many had their parts memorized. Christian only had one line, but he said it very clearly and from memory. The songs all went smoothly too. I always feel like we can sing louder, but overall I was just thrilled with the final presentation. This year we did one song in sign language ("I Love to See the Temple") and one song was done in a small group ("Where Love Is"). I really feel like they added a nice change to the other songs, and hopefully I can come up with some new ideas for next year too. Anyone out there have any great suggestions?

Jonathon's family came to watch the program to support Christian and me. We were so happy that they took part of their busy day to support us. It really meant a lot to our family. We had such a lovely dinner and evening with them.

By far, the best thing about the whole day was that the Spirit was so strong. The children really brought it to the meeting as they spoke simply, but fervently about the things that they learned and believed. Our final song was "Scripture Power".  All of the children raised their scriptures high in the air during the chorus. It was a powerful end to a beautiful meeting.  I am thankful to be part of such a wonderful organization and to have the opportunity to learn from the children weekly.


P.S. It has been so fun coming up with creative teaching methods to use with the children. It really makes me feel like the time and energy I spent on my teaching degree was not in vain. I am now able to use all of the knowledge and skill that I worked hard for to, hopefully, benefit the children of our ward. It is very fulfilling for me. Jonathon has been so supportive too. He built me this awesome wheel to use during singing time.

I can change the spaces to fit whatever I am doing for the day. The possibilities are endless and the kids love it! I got the idea and the directions here. I have such a nice husband!

6 comments:

Marci said...

I'm so glad to hear your program went well. Ours is still coming up and I'm very nervous about how the music will go. I would love to hear about any of your ideas for teaching the music! All the best.

Angela said...

Way to go! 13 songs is alot and I am impressed! What a lucky Primay to have you as the Chorister. We had ours yesterday too and our Saturday Practice was frightening...I firmly beleive that the Angels attend Primary Programs as well to make sure things turn out wonderful.

Great job!

The Christensen's: said...

Yea!! I am so glad that your program went well! And that you are enjoying your calling! That music wheel is such a good idea.

Molly said...

That wheel is so cool! Jonathon really IS the coolest!

Chelle said...

Yay, I'm so glad everything turned out great! I was thinking about you yest and hoping it would go as well as you hoped. I am sure you are a fantastic chorister and the kids are lucky to have you. And kudos to Jonathon for creating such a fun thing for the kids!

cfish77 said...

Hooray! Glad yours went well, too. My ward's Primary did a great job. One part almost made me cry. We did our sign language on "Stand for the Right." We did the same thing w/ "Scripture Power" which was also our last song!

P.S. Idea -- since I've been in Primary, our program has always had a baptism-related song, and they have the class getting baptized that year sing part of it by themselves.