Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

November 18, 2010

A Week of Giving Thanks

I have been completely overwhelmed with thoughts of gratitude these last few months.  It seems that every time I look around, I am hit with waves of emotion by something that I have to be grateful for. I think the increase of these feelings is associated with new surroundings and making a new life here. Big changes tend to bring about a big change of perspective, and I hope that I can continue to feel this way. With Thanksgiving now only a week away, I wanted to start writing every day what I am thankful for, little things and big. So here are 3 things I am grateful for today:

#1 Jonathon-- I have a fantastic husband who takes great care of our family. He loves me and loves our boys, and that is what we need most of all. I was reminded how much he means to me this week when he told me that he was hit by a car while riding his bike home from work. Luckily, the car was going slow and just barely sideswiped him as he was pulling up to a stop sign. He has a sore shoulder and sore elbow where he hit the back window, but other than that, he was completely fine. I was not completely fine, however, and was shaken by the incident. I said many prayers of thanks that the accident was not more serious. Jonathon means everything to me, and he is what I am most thankful for in my life.

#2 A washer/dryer-- This one seems quite silly after the serious nature of the previous one, but I am so thankful to have a washer and dryer today. Andrew threw up four times last night and this morning. It was such a help to me to be able to quickly do 2 loads of laundry in my own home and on my own schedule. Our New York days came swirling back in my mind, and I was ever so grateful that I didn't have to haul all that stinky laundry down 7 floors to the coin-operated laundry machines in the middle of the night. My rough night was made a little easier, and for that I am grateful.

#3 Exercise and Michelle O.-- One of the best things about moving to Utah has been being close to our good friends, Jared and Michelle. For the last month, Michelle and I have been able to swap babysitting while the other one goes to the gym. We do this 3 days a week, and I can't even explain what a difference it has made in my life. Having the opportunity to exercise and to have some "me time" has made me a happier person and a better mom. Our kids LOVE playing together, and we get plenty of time to chat between the comings and goings, so I think it has been good for everyone involved.

Our cute, silly kids
This picture pretty much sums up all of their personalities... Siena and Christian being silly (probably pretending to be something or other), Andrew mesmerized watching everything Christian does, and Turin sitting calmly and politely.

3 comments:

Stefani said...

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about Jonathan. I'm glad he's ok too. And I have to say I'm always grateful for driving, and that I'm able to do it.

Cami said...

I love this post, Sarah. I felt the Spirit as I read your comments about Jonathan. Isn't it interesting that our husbands and families mean more to us than we can express in writing? I'm glad he is OK too. That's scary.

I'm glad you get to exercise. I feel more motivated after reading your blog to actually try to do something. If it makes me happier, I should do it. Thanks Sarah!

Chelle said...

Awww, Sarah, THANKS! The feeling is SO mutual. I can't even tell you how many times I've said to Jared, "it's been heaven having the Hills here." We consider you guys such dear friends and we love to hang out with you! And I can't wait to hear your thoughts about HP7. Glad that the swap can work for other benefits too. :)