Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

January 11, 2010

Little Miracles

Jonathon had jury duty last week. It was really awkward timing for us because he is trying so hard to finish his PhD. by the summer and has an interview at the U of U later this month. He had already postponed jury duty twice, so he knew he would have to do this one. With much difficulty, he cleared out two weeks in his research in case he got seated on a jury.

When he arrived at the courthouse, he found out that he would be interviewed and questioned for a month-long trial involving second degree murder of a baby. 4 weeks at this crucial stage of his research would be brutal on our graduation schedule, not to mention having to deal with such a horrific case. The judge, however, would not buy his "I've got to finish my PhD and get out of New York before I run out of money" defense. He was the last person they interviewed on day 1 and was halfway through the process. When he came home he was so discouraged because he knew he would be picked. He had no answers or circumstances that would exclude him, and they were having a lot of trouble filling the jury.

That night, we tried to plan our life for the next month. He would have to postpone his job interview, go into the lab early every morning, go to jury duty all day, and then stop at the lab on the way home every night. Needless to say, we were both stressed and discouraged. That night my prayers were simple. "Please help us to be able to finish school on schedule, and please help us to get through the next month." I figured this covered all of the possibilities and allowed Heavenly Father a way to bless us no matter what happened.

The next morning at 11:00 A.M. I received a phone call. Jonathon had been released. We don't know how or why he was not selected for the jury, but we are so grateful to Heavenly Father for hearing our prayers. I have always believed in miracles and consider this to be a special one for our family at this time.

4 comments:

Stefani said...

awww, that is a neat story, thank you for sharing. It's cool to see the hand of God in our small lives huh?

The answer that got me off Jury Duty when I had no other defense was, "I'd like to think I would be impartial." (the question was "would you hold it against the man in question if he chose not to take the stand") It was the honest truth. And I was dismissed in the very next round.

Tamra said...

Wow. Good story.

Neither Rob nor I have ever been called for jury duty. But, since I just said that out loud, and since the government systematically combs blogs, I'm sure we'll get the call soon.

Natalie said...

awesome
little tear jerker for moi

Malesa said...

Oh, I'm so glad! That is horrible when you get that "Oh no, what are we going to do!" feeling.