Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

October 10, 2009

Preschool Update: A-E

Most of Christian's friends are doing organized preschool this year, but due to money (lack thereof) and the fact that he is ONLY 3, we decided against that. I decided to do my own little "school time" with him during the week. I guess technically it would be called pre-preschool. We do a letter of the week approach where I plan things throughout the week based on a letter of the alphabet. Each day we focus on a different subject while also reviewing the lessons from the previous days. I got my basic approach from this website, but I adjusted things a lot to meet our needs and Christian's interests. Our schedule is:

Monday-- Reading and Writing
Tuesday-- Math
Wednesday-- Science
Thursday-- Social Studies
Friday-- Art/Field Trip/Fun Project

It has been a great experience so far. I have had a lot of fun planning the lessons, and Christian has had a lot of fun being the center of attention (and learning too...hopefully). Here is a little sample of some of the things we have done so far.

"A" WEEK-- *Learned the poem "Way Up High in the Apple Tree"
*Worked on Addition with Animal Crackers
*Learned about the geography of Africa (He really impressed the Bishop when he yelled out "There's Africa" while pointing to it on a map.)

"B" WEEK-- *Sang "Baa, Baa Black Sheep", "Baby Bumblebee" and the "Wheels on the Bus"
*Read The Bear Feels Sick and The Bear Snores On (2 of our favorite books)

"C" WEEK-- *Used a mix of water and food coloring in the primary colors to make new colors
*Made Chocolate Chip Cookies
*Worked on Counting (#'s 11-20)
"D" WEEK-- *Talked about distance and used a measuring tape to find distances in our house
*Read lots of books about Dogs, Dinosaurs, and Ducks
*Went to Dunkin Donuts
"E" WEEK-- *Learned about the Earth
*Talked about what to do in Emergencies
*Learned how to Estimate



These are 2 pages from Christian's Science journal on Colors (the blue crayon didn't show up very well) and Distance-- He takes after his Daddy because Science is probably his favorite subject :)

5 comments:

Stefani said...

AWESOME! Keep up the good work!

cfish77 said...

Looks like fun! I'm sure he's passing w/ flying colors!

Natalie said...

i am ridiculously impressed

Tamra said...

That's super cute. I love the science notebook. ... I am not nearly so organized or ambitious.

Also, I love the Sunder Afternoon picture. I have one just like that of Rob from today, actually. I call mine "Being a Bishopric Member". 10 hour days. Crazy.

Natalie said...

That's a great idea Sarah! You're such a great mom :)