BIG NURSERY BOY-- January 20, 2008
So, the big day finally arrived. After 18 months of battling a baby through three hours of church every week, nursery day finally came. Parents, specifically mothers, are complex souls when it comes to the first day of nursery. If their child cries and acts clingy, they feel like they have done something wrong and their child is socially inept. On the other hand, if the child doesn't even turn around to acknowledge them leaving, there is some feeling that their child doesn't love them as much as other kids love their moms. For some parents, nursery day is just a lose lose situation. (I know I've been thinking about this all way too much...but stay with me)
Christian has always been a social boy, so I was fairly confident that leaving him in nursery would be no problem. I was also fairly confident that I wouldn't be one of those moms who felt sad because their baby didn't even look back. Lucky to report, I was right on both accounts. I opened the door and talked to the nursery leader for about a minute and then left as Christian was making a beeline for the fun, new toys. When I closed the door behind me, I realized how big my little "baby" was getting, but that quickly turned to excitement to go to class and enjoy the lessons for the first time in a long, long time.
I kept expecting something to go wrong and was ready to be handed a crying baby. Halfway through Relief Society, I got the dreaded tap on the shoulder...and the nursery leader handed Christian to me. I was so disappointed until she said that he only needed a diaper change and was doing great. A quick change later, and Christian was running back through the door to sing songs with his new friends. It was only the first week, but it sure was a good experience for both of us. Thank goodness for nursery and especially for nursery leaders!
A CALIFORNIA CHRISTMAS-- December 20, 2007-January 2, 2008
We spent the holidays in Hollister, California with Jonathon's family. A wonderful time was had by all. We went to the beach, toured the Monterey Bay Aquarium, got family pictures taken, played a million games of Settler's of Catan, and enjoyed just hanging out with the family. Enjoy!
THE REAL SANTA CLAUS--December 13, 2007
On Tuesday we took Christian to see the real Santa Claus which, of course, is at Macy's Department Store on 34th Street. Almost the entire 8th floor was decorated as the North Pole. There were singing trees, dancing bears, glittery presents, trains climbing Christmas trees, and even skiing penguins. Christian was in heaven and kept pointing and babbling about every single thing that we saw.
When it came time to see Santa, however, he wasn't so sure about sitting on an old man's lap. He sat there, but looked pretty sullen the whole time. Christian asked Santa for a ball and a car...his two favorite words. We asked one of Santa's elves to snap a picture. It won't be "photo of the year", but to buy one of theirs was $17.99 for 1 5X7. It was almost laughable what they were trying (and succeeding) to charge.
After seeing Santa, we went to see the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, which was also very impressive. We also saw the famous window displays at Saks Fifth Avenue. I have my qualms about New York, but I must say that the Holiday season has never been as festive/magical as it is here. The experience was very fun for all of us.
Our FREE picture
Standing in front of the Rockefeller Tree

No comments:
Post a Comment